Wow! When Lightning Struck! is a wild ride from the very beginning! It starts with a Martin Luther who isn't even old enough to tie his shoes and continues throughout his life journey. When Lightning Struck! intrigued me from the very start. It had everything a good novel has, stories within stories, mystery, humor, relationships (good and bad), and more.
Before I read this young adult book I knew very little about Martin Luther besides the fact that he was responsible for the Reformation. I now have a formal education on the man and his beliefs. Danika Cooley researched the life and works of Martin Luther thoroughly through her research. There are over 7 pages of consulted works and 12 pages of notes for a reader's further research on the Father of the Reformation. Learn about life and times of Martin Luther while learning historical facts about the time period and beliefs of the Reformation and how it changed Christianity today.
Some fun facts:
- Martin Luther was forced to leave home when he was just 13.
- Martin Luther helped nuns escape as it was a mortal sin to leave the nunnery.
- Martin Luther married one of those nuns.
- Martin Luther had five biological children.
- People believed everything that priests and the pope told them without reading the Bible for themselves.
- People believed the pope's word was a higher authority than the Bible.
- Martin Luther was sentenced to die for heresy. He escaped death more than once. (Find out how in the book).
When Lightning Struck! should be required reading in every homeschool family with junior high or highschool kids. It is definitely pleasure reading for all. Even though it is written for youth, I highly recommend it. Read it with your kids. It is a great way to open dialogue about the beliefs in your own family and why you hold them. Thank you, Danika Cooley for the information packed pages, and all your effort that is evident throughout the When Lightning Struck! I can't wait to read your next book!