There is a time when you must go to the doctor, so go!
Activated charcoal (Katie uses the ones made from coconut hulls)
- For when you swallow poison or for stomache bugs.
- Mix it in applesauce.
- It helps to calm stomache issues.
- Lessens food sensitivity symptoms.
- Turns food poisoning around rather quickly.
- Brush your teeth with it. Because of its ability to bind toxins, it whitens teeth. Kills germs that can cause caviities.
Dosage: For kids 1/4 teaspoon then if it doesn't work take another 1/4 teaspoon. Adults can take up to a teaspoon.
Caveat: Do not take within one hour of medication because it will absorb your medicine. Buy food grade quality activated charcoal.
To buy go to upgradedself.com or amazon.com
Elderberry tea or elderberry syrup:
- Take every night or every morning through the winter for immunity to colds
- Simmer dried berries for couple of hours. Strain out the berries and use tea (syrup) with honey. Add cinammon or other spices if you like.
- You can make homemade gummy bears out of elderberry syrup.
Dosage: Kids can just take a spoonfull of syrup with honey instead of tea.
Caution: If you pick your own elderberries make sure not to eat the leaves and stems. Leaves and stems have a toxic compound in them.
Get dried elderberries at mountainroseherbs.com amazon.com get organic
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Use for heartburn, indigestion, or nausea
- Put in the bath for eczema. Pulls out toxins in skin.
- Add honey to it and it will taste better instead of bitter.
- Drink with a cup of water.
- Rinse hair with diluted apple cider vinegar because it equalizes the pH of the hair.
- Braggs is most well known but other brands are available.
Dosage: Drink a teaspoon every two hours to help respiratory sickness or stomache sickness go away quicker.
Caveat: Make sure it has "The Mother" (colony of beneficial bacteria that keep the beneficial enzymes in there) in the bottle.
Get Apple Cider Vinegar here.
- Mix water, alcohol or glycerin, and herb to make a tincture.
- Chamomille loses effectiveness very early. When you make a tincture the properties last much longer.
- Fill jar halfway with dried chamomille flowers. Pour boiling water over the flowers just enough to cover the flowers. Then fill the rest of the jar with food grade alcohol that is at least 80 proof. Keep it in the jar covered tightly in the dark for two to six weeks. Shake it daily. Strain out the flowers and put it in dark colored bottles. Keep it in your purse.
- Chamomile is a calming relaxing herb and it has a mild pain relieving affect.
- Use for teething and for scrapes on the skin.
- Use it to help highlight your hair.
- Use it to help you sleep.
Dosage: The tincture is okay for kids if you give fifteen drops. Put it in a cup with some water. Leave it for about ten minutes, then give it to the kids. The alcohol will evaporate off the cup of water.
Warning: Use food grade alcohol like vodka NOT the stuff that you buy in the pharmacy or find under the bathroom sink.
To purchase chamomile flowers, click here
- Take as a daily supplement
- Helps kids fall asleep and sleep more restfully.
- Helps with the hormone property of sleep. (Rub it on your feet before you go to bed.)
- Helpful for morning sickness. Magnesium Oil used topically for morning sickness and leg cramps.
- Will help with leg cramps.
- It will help you relieve constipation.
Forms of magnesium:
- Magnesium oil: Magnesium flakes and water. Use it topically. The body will only absorb what it needs. It feels oily but there is no oil.
- Epsom salt is magnesium but it can be irritating to some people.
- Ocean water has magnesium. That is probably why you feel better after swimming in the ocean.
- Natural calm is a drink mix with magnesium.
- Ancient minerals is the best brand
Purchase magnesium here.
It has medium chain fatty acids and lauric acid in it. found in breast milk. Immune boosting and fighting infection. Kills yeast and bacteria in the gut.
Use on mosquito bites.
Use on skin as a softener.
Use on sore nipples for nursing moms. Safe for babies who are breastfeeding.
Use it to take off makeup.
Treats diaper rash.
It has been reported that it is good for thyroid function.
Naturally SPF 4.
Gets rid of cradle cap.
Kills yeast (on the skin).
Helps boost metabolism.
Brush it into hair for a natural conditioner for dry hair.
Antifungal. Use it on athlete's foot.
Season cast iron pans.
Cook with it.
Make toothpaste with it.
Blend it in the coffee. Put it in the blender and let it emulsify to get a creamy latte texture similar to a Starbucks latte.
Gives you energy.
Purchase coconut oil.
- Note: Sometimes it is okay to reduce the fever, but it is good to let a fever run its course because it helps the body to develop the immune system.
- Drink: bone broth (how to make bone broth below), lots of fluids, herbal teas, chamomile tincture or tea, peppermint tincture if fever gets too high.
- BRAT diet Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast
- Eat protein.
- Nothing white diet. No dairy, no sugar, no flour. Those things suppress immune system.
- All disease begins in the gut. Take probiotics.
- Important: If a child is lethargic call the doctor or take a child in to the doctor.
- Change diet
- Put hydrogen peroxide in the ear if you think an ear infection is starting.
- Mix half hydrogen peroxide and half rubbing alcohol for eardrops to help avoid swimmer's ear.
- Use Wally's Ear Oil (herbs and garlic infused into an oil to help kill earache).
- Garlic infused oil: To make simmer garlic cloves or chopped garlic in olive oil. Strain out garlic and put on cottonball and place on top of ear or put a few drops in the ear.
Natural methods for healing after birth
- Eases pain,
- Increases blood flow to heal quicker.
- Make a strong tea. Strain the herbs and put it in a bath and/or spray it on the perenium with a perinatal bottle. Sitz bath herbs. Chamomile, Lavendar, Comfrey, Plantain, Red Raspberry Leaf, Yarrow Flower, Calendula, Shepherd's Purse, Sea Salt or Epsom Salt, Uva Ursi.
NOTE: Red Raspberry Leaf is good to drink to tone the uterus.
- Chefs in five star restaurants and grandmas make this
- Simmer bones in water to pull out minerals and beneficial properties
- Gelatin comes from bone broth which produces collagen. FYI: Collagen cannot be absorbed topically.
- Has amino acids proline and glycine. We are not getting these amino acids so much anymore because they are not found in the muscle meats we eat. These amino acids are only found near the bone. Many people are now deficient in proline and glycine.
- It's cheap!
- Boil bones, Add curry powder for flavor, remove bones, and drink the broth.