What I learned today at The Mom Conference
To clean and organize, first find your focus, then create your plan. The acronym CREATE is used to help with this step.
- Collect like things
- No final decisions
- Use banker boxes
- Let others get use of the item
- Things are a drain on your energy
- Do I use it? Do I love it?
- Does someone else need or want it more than me?
- Start fresh and refreshed so you can approach with a clear mind
- Only tackle one pile at a time so you aren't being overwhelmed
- Keep moving, don't get caught up on a specific thing. If so, set it aside.
- Ask for help from an unbiased person
- This is where a place for everything and everything in its place goes.
- Put them in the most convenient place where everyone who needs them can grab them.
- Refocus and see which items should be moved to somewhere else?
4. Acquire Container
- Find baskets or containers that serve a good purpose
- Make sure they fit the area you need it in
- Use inexpensive containers
- Even shoeboxes and Ziplocs can work
Helpful notes for containers:
Put towels and sheets in baskets. Then they won't fall out every time you open the cabinet and pull one out.
Measure the height, width, and depth of each shelf or cupboard to make sure you get the right container size.
Get containers that are consistent so they are pretty to your eyes. (get all green for example for one area)
Leave open space in the container so that if you need to add to it sometime you can. (about 25% empty)
Label the containers and the shelf it is on so you can find stuff easily and people can put it back in the proper place. Click here to see the label brand that Jenny uses.
Swoop bags are great for kids to be able to easily clean up. They are a playmat that turns into a bag. Click here to see a swoop bag.
5. Transform (This is the simple part. Tie it up)
6. Evaluate Often
- Check the system and restore order often.
- Invest needed time so that it doesn't get crazy again.
- Do stuff together that makes sense. Example: If you are doing laundry, that is a good time to reevaluate the linen closet and fix any messups instead of waiting til the whole closet is a disaster again.
Create a SYSTEM to Save Yourself Stress, Time, Energy, and Money.
Click here to register and listen to the rest of the conference.